Yahoo Groups Are Going Away

Forum Forums General Discussions Yahoo Groups Are Going Away

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    galacticprobe
    Participant

Hey, All,

I know our Group has been quiet for the longest time, and it's been ages since I've posted anything. But I've been seeing this from several other Groups I belong to, but noting yet from ShipOnedinGroup. Has anyone else seen the banner at the top of the Group site? (It's at the top of all the Group site pages.)

Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members. Learn More

That "Learn More" is a link that takes you to a sort of FAQ page with expandable topics such as "What Functions will go away", "What will happen to the site", and others. But basically, from what I've heard from other Groups I belong to, come December 14, all content on this site will be gone: photos, files, messages, etc. Some of the owners/admins of those Groups are looking into this place: https://groups.io. I've checked it out, and near the bottom of the page it has some instructions (via a big green button) to help you move your Yahoo or Google Group to Groups.io. They have both free and pay plans (I'd naturally go for the free plan, but that's just me – an unemployable, retired military vet of 31 years with a V. A. disability rating of 100 percent, nearing 59 and on a very fixed income). That site says it's easy to move the Group, so maybe our owner/admins can take a look?

We've got a <pardon my Galactica> frackload of information stored here and the photos alone are priceless, especially of those showing some behind the scenes and some of the sets! Downloading everything into one's computer (which is what Yahoo is saying we have to do before December 14) would take, probably, longer than the deadline. Also, we would lose all of the messages that have been posted (which we can't download), as well as all other files.

Some Group owners are taking things to Facebook, but I don't do Facebook. (My wife does, but I think she's getting tired of me coming across a site on a search, and having it be a Facebook page, and Liking it – basically doing Facebook through her because she knows how it works. I'm an electronics tech; if it's electronic and it's broke, I can usually fix it. When it comes to all of those links and clicks and switching between pages, I admit I'm a dunce. That said, if this Group migrated to Facebook, I would have no choice but to find it and ask my beleaguered wife to "Like" it for me.)

So, has anyone else heard of this or looked into what's in store for our future on ShipOnedinGroup?

Dino.

chrisjbrady
    Participant
    This removal of most functionality is very sudden. Its the death of Groups.

For this Group its going to take an age – and a stable connection – to save and transfer all files etc.

My own Groups are going to be a problem for me too.

This is what I understand to be going:

====

Files
    Polls
    Links
    Photos
    Folders
    Calendar
    Database
    Attachments
    Conversations
    Email Updates
    Message Digest
    Message History

====

BTW if only email functionality is to be left then another download should be the emails of subscribers. Your community is the most valuable.

CJB

On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 22:12:01 BST, LambuLambu@aol.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hey, All,

I know our Group has been quiet for the longest time, and it's been ages since I've posted anything. But I've been seeing this from several other Groups I belong to, but noting yet from ShipOnedinGroup. Has anyone else seen the banner at the top of the Group site? (It's at the top of all the Group site pages.)

Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members. Learn More

That "Learn More" is a link that takes you to a sort of FAQ page with expandable topics such as "What Functions will go away", "What will happen to the site", and others. But basically, from what I've heard from other Groups I belong to, come December 14, all content on this site will be gone: photos, files, messages, etc. Some of the owners/admins of those Groups are looking into this place: https://groups.io. I've checked it out, and near the bottom of the page it has some instructions (via a big green button) to help you move your Yahoo or Google Group to Groups.io. They have both free and pay plans (I'd naturally go for the free plan, but that's just me – an unemployable, retired military vet of 31 years with a V. A. disability rating of 100 percent, nearing 59 and on a very fixed income). That site says it's easy to move the Group, so maybe our owner/admins can take a look?

We've got a <pardon my Galactica> frackload of information stored here and the photos alone are priceless, especially of those showing some behind the scenes and some of the sets! Downloading everything into one's computer (which is what Yahoo is saying we have to do before December 14) would take, probably, longer than the deadline. Also, we would lose all of the messages that have been posted (which we can't download), as well as all other files.

Some Group owners are taking things to Facebook, but I don't do Facebook. (My wife does, but I think she's getting tired of me coming across a site on a search, and having it be a Facebook page, and Liking it – basically doing Facebook through her because she knows how it works. I'm an electronics tech; if it's electronic and it's broke, I can usually fix it. When it comes to all of those links and clicks and switching between pages, I admit I'm a dunce. That said, if this Group migrated to Facebook, I would have no choice but to find it and ask my beleaguered wife to "Like" it for me.)

So, has anyone else heard of this or looked into what's in store for our future on ShipOnedinGroup?

Dino.

chrisjbrady
    Participant
    It appears that transfers to groups.io are not free, they require a premium or enterprise subscription – https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Transfer-from-Yahoo-Groups

CJB

On Friday, 18 October 2019, 00:22:26 BST, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@yahoo.com> wrote:
    This removal of most functionality is very sudden. Its the death of Groups.

For this Group its going to take an age – and a stable connection – to save and transfer all files etc.

My own Groups are going to be a problem for me too.

This is what I understand to be going:

====

Files
    Polls
    Links
    Photos
    Folders
    Calendar
    Database
    Attachments
    Conversations
    Email Updates
    Message Digest
    Message History

====

BTW if only email functionality is to be left then another download should be the emails of subscribers. Your community is the most valuable.

CJB
    On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 22:12:01 BST, LambuLambu@aol.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hey, All,

Dino.

ivaradi1975
    Participant
    Hello,

I have looked into the transfer to groups.io. 
    It requires a Premium group there for the transfer, but the Premium subscription can be cancelled after a year. I am willing to pay for it (but if someone wants to share the costs, I would not refuse :))
    However, the transfer requires the ability to send an invite from this group to a certain e-mail address. I cannot find any button or menu item to do so, and since this group is restricted, I assume only an administrator has such a capability (and I am not one). 
    So I think it would be nice, if our administrator would chip in. If he/she does not want to deal with the transfer, I am ready to become an administrator and deal with the rest. 
    (BTW I have already downloaded the photos and the files to my computer, so if no other solution is found, I will be able to make them available from my server. The messages will be lost, however, unless they copied one by one with copy and paste, which seems to be a rather dull job :))
    István
    leebonnifield
    Participant

> (BTW I have already downloaded the photos and the files to my computer,
    > so if no other solution is found, I will be able to make them available
    > from my server. The messages will be lost, however, unless they copied
    > one by one with copy and paste, which seems to be a rather dull job :))
    >
    > István

Thanks István !

I still have about 100 messages (including all 44 of mine) which I could
    send you. They're in plaintext (including the mail headers) which makes
    it easy (one copy operation) to put them into a new inbox in my
    Thunderbird email reader. I can supply instructions. Maybe you'd prefer
    one text file without the headers.

A dozen+ of my messages referred to 10 minute videos ("The Running
    Tide") I posted on my public onedrive site. They're 30-50 megabytes
    each, still available to download from

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=DF9A1A8355E5C330%21172&cid=DF9A1A8355E5C330

I did not post them to shiponedingroup files because they were not
    actually part of The Onedin Line, they were fillers added by my local
    PBS station after the broadcast of each TOL in the first season. They're
    seafaring documentaries on a subject related to the TOL episode. I don't
    have the copyright to them but I have never received a complaint from
    PBS and I couldn't find them online or elsewhere. If you're setting up a
    new group or compiling TOL files you (or TOL fans) are welcome to copy them.

Lee Bonnifield

galacticprobe
    Participant
    I have those files, Lee, and thank you for making them available! (I hope I posted a thank you when you let us know where to find them. If not, apologies for being inexcusably late.)

I found them fascinating as I never got to see them before you made them available for us. The station in my area that aired 'The Onedin Line' was a syndicated commercial station, and the 45-50-minute TOL episodes ran for a full hour once that station inserted their adverts, so there was never any room for those "fillers".

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    From: Lee Bonnifield lee78@localnet.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    To: shiponedingroup <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Thu, Oct 24, 2019 6:53 am
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Re: Yahoo Groups Are Going Away

> (BTW I have already downloaded the photos and the files to my computer,

> so if no other solution is found, I will be able to make them available

> from my server. The messages will be lost, however, unless they copied

> one by one with copy and paste, which seems to be a rather dull job :))

>

> István

Thanks István !

I still have about 100 messages (including all 44 of mine) which I could

send you. They're in plaintext (including the mail headers) which makes

it easy (one copy operation) to put them into a new inbox in my

Thunderbird email reader. I can supply instructions. Maybe you'd prefer

one text file without the headers.

A dozen+ of my messages referred to 10 minute videos ("The Running

Tide") I posted on my public onedrive site. They're 30-50 megabytes

each, still available to download from

I did not post them to shiponedingroup files because they were not

actually part of The Onedin Line, they were fillers added by my local

PBS station after the broadcast of each TOL in the first season. They're

seafaring documentaries on a subject related to the TOL episode. I don't

have the copyright to them but I have never received a complaint from

PBS and I couldn't find them online or elsewhere. If you're setting up a

new group or compiling TOL files you (or TOL fans) are welcome to copy them..

Lee Bonnifield

liamegan2000

I long since lost the login details to the group
    when my PC died, but searching my emails stored on an old hdd I've found I
    can reply to messages to the group.

In view Yahoo is closing the groups down,
    I have created a forum at http://onedingroup.freeforums.net.

I do not know if it will have any use to Onedin
    fans but we can see how it goes, so if you fancy joining and seeing if you will
    like and participate in it please go there and sign up.

Bill.

style="PADDING-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;BORDER-LEFT:#000000 2px solid;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;" dir="ltr">

—– Original Message —–
    Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:24
    PM
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Re: Yahoo
    Groups Are Going Away
    I have those files, Lee, and thank you for making them available! (I
    hope I posted a thank you when you let us know where to find them. If not,
    apologies for being inexcusably late.)

I found them fascinating as I never got to see them before
    you made them available for us. The station in my area that aired 'The Onedin
    Line' was a syndicated commercial station, and the 45-50-minute TOL episodes
    ran for a full hour once that station inserted their adverts, so there was
    never any room for those "fillers".

Dino.

—–Original
    Message—–
    From: Lee Bonnifield lee78@localnet.com [shiponedingroup]
    <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    To: shiponedingroup
    Sent: Thu, Oct 24, 2019 6:53
    am

> (BTW I have already downloaded the photos and the files to my
    computer,
    > so if no other solution is found, I will be able
    to make them available
    > from my server. The messages will be
    lost, however, unless they copied
    > one by one with copy and
    paste, which seems to be a rather dull job :))
    >
    > István

Thanks István !

I still have about 100 messages (including all 44 of
    mine) which I could
    send you. They're in plaintext (including
    the mail headers) which makes
    it easy (one copy operation) to
    put them into a new inbox in my
    Thunderbird email reader. I can
    supply instructions. Maybe you'd prefer
    one text file without
    the headers.

A dozen+ of my messages referred to
    10 minute videos ("The Running
    Tide") I posted on my public
    onedrive site. They're 30-50 megabytes
    each, still available to
    download from

I did not post them to shiponedingroup files because
    they were not
    actually part of The Onedin Line, they were
    fillers added by my local
    PBS station after the broadcast of
    each TOL in the first season. They're
    seafaring documentaries
    on a subject related to the TOL episode. I don't
    have the
    copyright to them but I have never received a complaint from
    PBS and I couldn't find them online or elsewhere. If you're setting
    up a
    new group or compiling TOL files you (or TOL fans) are
    welcome to copy them…

Lee Bonnifield

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

http://www.avast.com

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Okay. I just mentioned something like this. (Story of my life… always one step behind.) I'm willing to give it a go. I've just signed up, Bill.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    From: 'Bill' william.whittaker1@ntlworld.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2019 10:19 am

I long since lost the login details to the group
    when my PC died, but searching my emails stored on an old hdd I've found I
    can reply to messages to the group.

In view Yahoo is closing the groups down,
    I have created a forum at http://onedingroup.freeforums.net.

I do not know if it will have any use to Onedin
    fans but we can see how it goes, so if you fancy joining and seeing if you will
    like and participate in it please go there and sign up.

Bill.

—– Original Message —–
    Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:24
    PM
    Groups Are Going Away

I have those files, Lee, and thank you for making them available! (I
    hope I posted a thank you when you let us know where to find them. If not,
    apologies for being inexcusably late.)

I found them fascinating as I never got to see them before
    you made them available for us. The station in my area that aired 'The Onedin
    Line' was a syndicated commercial station, and the 45-50-minute TOL episodes
    ran for a full hour once that station inserted their adverts, so there was
    never any room for those "fillers".

Dino.

—–Original
    Message—–
    From: Lee Bonnifield lee78@localnet.com [shiponedingroup]
    To: shiponedingroup
    Sent: Thu, Oct 24, 2019 6:53
    am

> (BTW I have already downloaded the photos and the files to my
    computer,
    > so if no other solution is found, I will be able
    to make them available
    > from my server. The messages will be
    lost, however, unless they copied
    > one by one with copy and
    paste, which seems to be a rather dull job :))
    >
    > István

Thanks István !

I still have about 100 messages (including all 44 of
    mine) which I could
    send you. They're in plaintext (including
    the mail headers) which makes
    it easy (one copy operation) to
    put them into a new inbox in my
    Thunderbird email reader. I can
    supply instructions. Maybe you'd prefer
    one text file without
    the headers.

A dozen+ of my messages referred to
    10 minute videos ("The Running
    Tide") I posted on my public
    onedrive site. They're 30-50 megabytes
    each, still available to
    download from

I did not post them to shiponedingroup files because
    they were not
    actually part of The Onedin Line, they were
    fillers added by my local
    PBS station after the broadcast of
    each TOL in the first season. They're
    seafaring documentaries
    on a subject related to the TOL episode. I don't
    have the
    copyright to them but I have never received a complaint from
    PBS and I couldn't find them online or elsewhere. If you're setting
    up a
    new group or compiling TOL files you (or TOL fans) are
    welcome to copy them…

Lee Bonnifield

ivaradi1975
    Participant
    Hi Lee,

thanks for offering the messages, and I would be grateful if you could send them to me, including the headers. That way I might be able to setup some website where the messages would be displayed in chronological order and perhaps preserving the topic structure. Or perhaps a forum into which I could import them.
    István
    leebonnifield
    Participant
    Hi István,

Here are the messages I saved, I hope you can use them. I said

>They're in plaintext (including the mail headers)

but they are html format, the way they were distributed. The headers let
    them be displayed in readable format, at least when given to Thunderbird
    email. When I put the file "onedin" in among other mail boxes while
    Tbird is closed, next time I open Tbird it sees the new file and builds
    indexes for it. Then I see the messages in chrono order with the html
    correctly rendered. I hope this works for you. Please let me know.

Lee Bonnifield

On 11/28/19 2:14 PM, ivaradi@gmail.com [shiponedingroup] wrote:
    > Hi Lee,
    >
    >
    > thanks for offering the messages, and I would be grateful if you could
    > send them to me, including the headers. That way I might be able to
    > setup some website where the messages would be displayed in
    > chronological order and perhaps preserving the topic structure. Or
    > perhaps a forum into which I could import them.
    >
    > István
    >
    >

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

chrisjbrady
    Participant
    Who not move the group to IO. But time has just about run out. CJB
    On Friday, 29 November 2019, 20:28:10 GMT, Lee Bonnifield lee78@localnet.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi István,

Lee Bonnifield

> Hi Lee,
    >
    >
    >
    > István
    >
    >

ivaradi1975
    Participant
    Moving the group to IO would require the administrator to invite a certain e-mail address. However, I could not contact the administrator. But we still have some time till Deember 14, so perhaps there is still hope that the administrator steps forward and the moving can be completed.

István

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:14 PM Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady@yahoo.com> wrote:
    On Friday, 29 November 2019, 20:28:10 GMT, Lee Bonnifield lee78@localnet.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi István,

Lee Bonnifield

> Hi Lee,
    >
    >
    >
    > István
    >
    >

ivaradi1975
    Participant
    Hi Lee,

thanks, I am quite confident I will be able to use the messages.
    The website with the messages will be available at https://onedin.varadiistvan.hu. Currently it contains only a default website, but I will make the messages available in some format during the coming weeks. But maybe only shortly before Christmas, depending on my spare time.
    István

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 9:28 PM Lee Bonnifield <lee78@localnet.com> wrote:

Hi István,

Lee  Bonnifield

> Hi Lee,
    >
    >
    >
    > István
    >
    >

liamegan2000

OK,

what is needed?

style="PADDING-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;BORDER-LEFT:#000000 2px solid;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;" dir="ltr">

—– Original Message —–
    István Váradi
    ivaradi@gmail.com [shiponedingroup]
    Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2019 6:52
    AM
    Groups Are Going Away
    Moving the group to IO would require the administrator to invite
    a certain e-mail address. However, I could not contact the administrator. But
    we still have some time till Deember 14, so perhaps there is still hope that
    the administrator steps forward and the moving can be completed..

István

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:14 PM Chris J Brady
    <chrisjbrady@yahoo.com> wrote:
    style="PADDING-LEFT:1ex;MARGIN:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;BORDER-LEFT:rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid;">

On Friday, 29 November 2019, 20:28:10 GMT, Lee Bonnifield lee78@localnet.com
    [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi István,

Here are the messages I saved, I
    hope you can use them. I said

>They're in
    plaintext (including the mail headers)

but they
    are html format, the way they were distributed. The headers let
    them be displayed in readable format, at least when given to
    Thunderbird
    email. When I put the file "onedin" in among
    other mail boxes while
    Tbird is closed, next time I open
    Tbird it sees the new file and builds
    indexes for it. Then I
    see the messages in chrono order with the html
    correctly
    rendered. I hope this works for you. Please let me know.

Lee Bonnifield

On 11/28/19 2:14 PM,
    ivaradi@gmail.com
    [shiponedingroup] wrote:
    > Hi Lee,
    >
    >
    > thanks for offering the messages, and I
    would be grateful if you could
    > send them to me,
    including the headers. That way I might be able to
    > setup
    some website where the messages would be displayed in
    >
    chronological order and perhaps preserving the topic structure. Or
    >
    > István
    >
    >

[Non-text portions of this
    message have been removed]

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Bill, I'm a member of a couple of other Yahoo Groups that have just migrated to Groups.io. One thing I did hear was that Groups.io was charging a $220 (US) migration fee. In all of the Groups that migrated, the owner asked for members to donate what they could to help with that cost. Members donated anywhere between $5 and $50 via PayPal to the owners with the owners posting daily updates on the amount raised until the $220 was reached. Then the owners used those funds to pay Groups.io.

I've just sent those Groups' owners an email asking them what they did to get the powers that be at Groups.io to migrate them over. I'll pass on anything they tell me ASAP.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    From: 'Bill' william.whittaker1@ntlworld.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Mon, Dec 2, 2019 4:21 pm

OK,

what is needed?

—– Original Message —–
    István Váradi
    ivaradi@gmail.com [shiponedingroup]
    Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2019 6:52
    AM
    Groups Are Going Away

Moving the group to IO would require the administrator to invite
    a certain e-mail address. However, I could not contact the administrator. But
    we still have some time till Deember 14, so perhaps there is still hope that
    the administrator steps forward and the moving can be completed..

István

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:14 PM Chris J Brady
    <chrisjbrady@yahoo.com> wrote:
    On Friday, 29 November 2019, 20:28:10 GMT, Lee Bonnifield lee78@localnet.com
    [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi István,

Here are the messages I saved, I
    hope you can use them. I said

>They're in
    plaintext (including the mail headers)

but they
    are html format, the way they were distributed. The headers let
    them be displayed in readable format, at least when given to
    Thunderbird
    email. When I put the file "onedin" in among
    other mail boxes while
    Tbird is closed, next time I open
    Tbird it sees the new file and builds
    indexes for it.. Then I
    see the messages in chrono order with the html
    correctly
    rendered. I hope this works for you. Please let me know.

Lee Bonnifield

On 11/28/19 2:14 PM,
    ivaradi@gmail.com
    [shiponedingroup] wrote:
    > Hi Lee,
    >
    >
    > thanks for offering the messages, and I
    would be grateful if you could
    > send them to me,
    including the headers. That way I might be able to
    > setup
    some website where the messages would be displayed in
    >
    chronological order and perhaps preserving the topic structure. Or
    >
    > István
    >
    >

[Non-text portions of this
    message have been removed]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.