questions about sailing

Forum Forums General Discussions questions about sailing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    leebonnifield
    Participant
    I see the new photo of the Soren Larsen crew standing around the wheel. R, you in there?

The photo doesn't show the "roll bar" wooden structure that is behind them in TOL, like in the last episode S8N9. Especially during the closing credits you can see that it's positioned so the end of the main mast boom could rest in one of the 3 notches on top of the "roll bar" (what's it really called?) Also the helmsman does not need to duck to avoid the swinging boom because it would hit that structure.

And in that episode (46:41) Baines calls for "oil bags" presumably to help smooth the ship's passage while Margarita is giving birth. What are oil bags and how do they help?

(I probably should have found an old thread or started a new topic sooner, there are other sailing questions answered recently in topics The Running Tide & Onedin Polls)

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    Yes, I'm steering!

It's called a boom gallows and wasn't there in the first seasons worth of filming, Tony had only just got the ship seaworthy and was desperately trying to earn money to fit her out, she was bare below decks, we were sleeping on ordinary spring bedsteads screwed down to the floor!, there was no electricity, cooking was done on a coal range and we ate at a table made of long plankd fastened together with simple benches each side. The heads was nicknamed 'The Gludge' and was a wooden shed with a galvanized funnel set in a seat and a bucket on a rope to flush. it was only lashed down so could be moved either side. If you look closely you can see the companionway to the aft accomodation is plywood…..

The boom would never be that low anyway to need to duck.

Like so many land expressions that came from the sea, 'To pour oil on to troubled waters'. Oil slowly seeping out of a canvas bag towed behind a ship would create a slick which would flatten the breaking crest of a wave, messy business though!

— On Fri, 17/5/13, leebonnifield <lee78@localnet.com> wrote:

Subject: [shiponedingroup] questions about sailing
    To: shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Friday, 17 May, 2013, 20:39

I see the new photo of the Soren Larsen crew standing around the wheel. R, you in there?

The photo doesn't show the "roll bar" wooden structure that is behind them in TOL, like in the last episode S8N9. Especially during the closing credits you can see that it's positioned so the end of the main mast boom could rest in one of the 3 notches on top of the "roll bar" (what's it really called?) Also the helmsman does not need to duck to avoid the swinging boom because it would hit that structure.

And in that episode (46:41) Baines calls for "oil bags" presumably to help smooth the ship's passage while Margarita is giving birth. What are oil bags and how do they help?

(I probably should have found an old thread or started a new topic sooner, there are other sailing questions answered recently in topics The Running Tide & Onedin Polls)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Not sure about the "oil bags", but that "roll bar" you refer to is called a "cradle", and yes, it is for the boom and the gaff to rest in when the sails are stowed. that's why there's more than one "notch" in the top.

Also correct in that when the sail is set, the boom will be well clear of the helmsman's head. Even on the Charlotte Rhodes – whose wheel was atop the deck-house – had her boom set high enough that it wouldn't really hit anyone's head if it swung around. (It would indeed have hit the cradle first if it was that low, but the force the boom could carry with it would be enough to smash through the cradle. Oh, the cradle might slow the boom down enough to give a quick-thinking helmsman time to duck, but that's about it.)

If you look closely at the early episodes when Charlotte Rhodes played a large role, you'll notice that all three of her masts have cradles for their booms and gaffs. The ones for the Main and Foremasts are much lower and narrower than the one for the mizzenmast.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    To: shiponedingroup <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Fri, May 17, 2013 3:39 pm

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Ah, I stand corrected. The crew aboard USCGC Eagle always referred to the boom gallows as the boom cradle. And actually, that's how we referred to the boom gallows on my buoy tender: the cradle. (And the boom was for hoisting buoys, not sails.)

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: Fri, May 17, 2013 3:51 pm
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] questions about sailing

Yes, I'm steering!

It's called a boom gallows…

The boom would never be that low anyway to need to duck…

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    Sorry! But I'm going to have to contradict you again.

It's a gallows and all the cutouts in it are for the boom, the gaff isn't long enough to reach, besides the gaff sits ontop of the furled sail which in turn is on top of the boom so would never lie alongside it. A cradle is what you lash the ships boat into on deck.

— On Fri, 17/5/13, LambuLambu@aol.com <LambuLambu@aol.com> wrote:

Date: Friday, 17 May, 2013, 21:09

Not sure about the "oil bags", but that "roll bar" you refer to is called a "cradle", and yes, it is for the boom and the gaff to rest in when the sails are stowed. that's why there's more than one "notch" in the top.

Also correct in that when the sail is set, the boom will be well clear of the helmsman's head. Even on the Charlotte Rhodes – whose wheel was atop the deck-house – had her boom set high enough that it wouldn't really hit anyone's head if it swung around. (It would indeed have hit the cradle first if it was that low, but the force the boom could carry with it would be enough to smash through the cradle. Oh, the cradle might slow the boom down enough to give a quick-thinking helmsman time to duck, but that's about it.)

If you look closely at the early episodes when Charlotte Rhodes played a large role, you'll notice that all three of her masts have cradles for their booms and gaffs. The ones for the Main and Foremasts are much lower and narrower than the one for the mizzenmast.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: Fri, May 17, 2013 3:39 pm

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    Well if it was a spar for hoisting things like a crane then it wasn't a boom but a derek.

You did once say to me that you had never actually sailed a large sailing vessel didn't you?

Date: Friday, 17 May, 2013, 21:15

Ah, I stand corrected. The crew aboard USCGC Eagle always referred to the boom gallows as the boom cradle. And actually, that's how we referred to the boom gallows on my buoy tender: the cradle. (And the boom was for hoisting buoys, not sails.)

Dino.

—–Original Message—–

Yes, I'm steering!

galacticprobe
    Participant
    What?! Another of my replies lost in the bit bucket? I did reply after reading your other post, and the first thing I said was, "I stand corrected". (The reply is probably sitting on the Group site, just like that other one of mine was.)

Yahoo! Groups – ya gotta love 'em.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: Fri, May 17, 2013 4:22 pm

It's a gallows and all the cutouts in it are for the boom, the gaff isn't long enough to reach, besides the gaff sits ontop of the furled sail which in turn is on top of the boom so would never lie alongside it. A cradle is what you lash the ships boat into on deck.

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    No, not lost, I read it which is why I felt compelled to reply. You're giving out so much misinformation it's both embarassing for me to see and unfair to those who ask the questions and want correct answers, that's all. 

Date: Friday, 17 May, 2013, 21:36

What?! Another of my replies lost in the bit bucket? I did reply after reading your other post, and the first thing I said was, "I stand corrected". (The reply is probably sitting on the Group site, just like that other one of mine was.)

Dino.

—–Original Message—–

It's a gallows and all the cutouts in it are for the boom, the gaff isn't long enough to reach, besides the gaff sits ontop of the furled sail which in turn is on top of the boom so would never lie alongside it. A cradle is what you lash the ships boat into on deck.

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    By the way, have you worked out why there are usually three cutouts for the boom?

Date: Friday, 17 May, 2013, 21:36

Dino.

—–Original Message—–

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Ah-ha! So my reply did finally get through! (Slow as usual.)

The largest thing I ever sailed on was a 40-ft ketch, and that was about 35 or so years ago. I tried several times to get the ET1 billet on EAGLE, but each time my boss shot down the request saying that I was "too valuable at [my] current command". BS. He was just an incompetent lieutenant moron and needed me to carry him along. (Seriously, he was, and when I was transferred to a different division without sufficient break-in time for my replacement the LT fell flat on his face. He eventually got passed over for promotion twice and was booted out.) I've had several friends get that billet on EAGLE, but not me. And as I've mentioned, since my back injury I haven't done any nautical living history in some years now, so it's that old "use it or lose it" thing. (My terminology is getting rusty, which is why I love discussions like this; people like you help refresh my memory.)

As for my buoy tender, it was an actual boom. No spars lifted it. On the old A-Class Madrona (the last of the A-Class) it was lifted and moved by four electric motors using cables to work its pullies: one to raise and lower the boom, one to raise and lower the hook, one to pull the boom left, and one to pull it right. When we cross-decked to the refurbed C-Class Cowslip there were only three hydraulically operated pullies: two to raise the boom and also move it right or left, and one for the hook. But it was called a boom, and when we were done working buoys the Deck Chief always reported the boom was "secured in its cradle". (As a side note, when Madrona came out of refurb, she was then a C-Class as well; all of the vintage 1940s 180-ft tenders were C-Classes then.)

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: Fri, May 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Well if it was a spar for hoisting things like a crane then it wasn't a boom but a derek.

You did once say to me that you had never actually sailed a large sailing vessel didn't you?

Dino.

—–Original Message—–

Yes, I'm steering!

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Now that's one that's always eluded me.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: Fri, May 17, 2013 4:48 pm

By the way, have you worked out why there are usually three cutouts for the boom?

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Sorry about that. I don't mean to be. Just trying to help, and (if you've seen my other reply – which they seem to be crossing each other in some sort of time-lag) I do admit I've gotten rusty in the years that I haven't done nautical living history.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: Fri, May 17, 2013 4:40 pm

No, not lost, I read it which is why I felt compelled to reply. You're giving out so much misinformation it's both embarassing for me to see and unfair to those who ask the questions and want correct answers, that's all.

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    I give up.

I've been building, rigging, restoring and sailing traditional vessels for over 35 years but I can see that being the font on all matters nautical for this group is important to you so I will leave it to you to answer any technical questions in future, okay?

Date: Friday, 17 May, 2013, 21:53

The largest thing I ever sailed on was a 40-ft ketch, and that was about 35 or so years ago. I tried several times to get the ET1 billet on EAGLE, but each time my boss shot down the request saying that I was "too valuable at [my] current command". BS. He was just an incompetent lieutenant moron and needed me to carry him along. (Seriously, he was, and when I was transferred to a different division without sufficient break-in time for my replacement the LT fell flat on his face. He eventually got passed over for promotion twice and was booted out.) I've had several friends get that billet on EAGLE, but not me. And as I've mentioned, since my back injury I haven't done any nautical living history in some years now, so it's that old "use it or lose it" thing. (My terminology is getting rusty, which is why I love discussions like this; people like you help refresh my memory.)

As for my buoy tender, it was an actual boom. No spars lifted it. On the old A-Class Madrona (the last of the A-Class) it was lifted and moved by four electric motors using cables to work its pullies: one to raise and lower the boom, one to raise and lower the hook, one to pull the boom left, and one to pull it right. When we cross-decked to the refurbed C-Class Cowslip there were only three hydraulically operated pullies: two to raise the boom and also move it right or left, and one for the hook. But it was called a boom, and when we were done working buoys the Deck Chief always reported the boom was "secured in its cradle". (As a side note, when Madrona came out of refurb, she was then a C-Class as well; all of the vintage 1940s 180-ft tenders were C-Classes then.)

Dino.

—–Original Message—–

Dino.

—–Original Message—–

Yes, I'm steering!

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Richard,

This may very well be my last post on this forum, but…

I see no need to get unfriendly, here. I obviously had a term wrong (cradle when it should have been gallows), which I admitted that I stood corrected on that.

You brought up the issue of a derrick vs. a boom, presumable with regards to my statement about my buoy tender. I then simply explained why I was using the term "cradle", and I admitted that I had grown rusty with my terminology after being away from participating in nautical living history. I believe I also said that I was glad to have someone like you to refresh my memory.

In review (and this is in the e-mail chain below): I admitted that "I stand corrected" on the gallows issue. I explained why I used the term "cradle". I praised you for your knowledge and how it refreshed mine.

In return: you attack me and accuse me of wanting to be "the font of all matters nautical" just because I wanted you to understand why I said what I did?

I admit – again – that I've gotten rusty, and again say that I am happy to have someone like you here to correct me when I'm wrong.

So now I ask you… why the personal attack against me for that?

As I await your response, I am entering "lurk mode". I will reply to your response as required, however since my fading knowledge and memories are so offending, I will no longer reply to any other posts unless specifically asked to do so by the person posting, or by a Moderator.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: Fri, May 17, 2013 5:11 pm

I give up.

I've been building, rigging, restoring and sailing traditional vessels for over 35 years but I can see that being the font on all matters nautical for this group is important to you so I will leave it to you to answer any technical questions in future, okay?

Date: Friday, 17 May, 2013, 21:53

Dino.

—–Original Message—–

Dino.

—–Original Message—–

Yes, I'm steering!

leebonnifield
    Participant
    On 5/17/2013 5:11 PM, R wrote:

> I give up.
    >
    > I've been building, rigging, restoring and sailing traditional
    > vessels for over 35 years but I can see that being the font on all
    > matters nautical for this group is important to you so I will leave it
    > to you to answer any technical questions in future, okay?

I appreciate answers from you both. To make the rough calculation
    (interesting to me) that 1 degree of rudder is effective I needed R's
    description of his experience PLUS the typical wheel/rudder data Dino
    provided, that I asked for. I think questioners benefit when a BBS has
    answers from multiple sources of varying authority as long as they can
    correct each other without getting as frustrated as R.

In my experience (except for my first message) this BBS is very quick at
    distribution, I send a message and see it come from the group in
    seconds. I appreciate the prompt responses I got from R & Dino. If they
    aren't getting such quick reception of each other's messages that can
    lead to crossed emails and corrections and contradictions which are NOT
    very dangerous. If I get misinformed I'll be happy to see the correction.

Or, I'll learn how names of things have evolved. The 19th century terms
    are what I need most to understand TOL. R said "Reefing square sails
    died out long before James' day! " and described what is done to stow a
    rectangular sail. James & Baines call for reefing multiple times, I
    wonder if that's a script anachronism, or they're doing something more
    temporary than stowing.

> By the way, have you worked out why there are usually three cutouts for
    > the boom?

Nope. My first idea was that if the ship is still underway, and you want
    to stow that boom even temporarily, then if there's still wind it will
    be easier to stow in the leeward cutout. But I'm not convinced that's
    really easier. When Dino said the gaff goes in a second cutout I
    believed that. When R pointed out the gaff is too short, he's obviously
    right.

I do claim credit for inventing the balanced rudder while I was trying
    to guess how long the Sea Cloud's rudder is, and thinking about how a
    rudder should be pivoted. I can see how the bit of rudder in front of
    the pivot would reduce the strength the helmsman has to apply, so it
    makes sense it would reduce his feel for the force between water & hull
    as a function of ship's course.

> Like so many land expressions that came from the sea, 'To pour oil on to
    > troubled waters'. Oil slowly seeping out of a canvas bag towed behind a
    > ship would create a slick which would flatten the breaking crest of a
    > wave, messy business though!

Is this a superstition? I think they were not hove to, so they would
    stay ahead of the slick. Seems like it would only help a ship following
    closely behind. Also I would think it would take a thick layer to
    flatten crests at sea, many barrels of oil. How much oil would the 1880s
    Soren Larsen carry? Can waves from behind overtake the ship? I would
    expect even a thin layer of oil would calm the smallest turbulence in
    the waves. But the larger mass movement which could be felt when an
    ocean wave reached the ship, that would not be noticeably reduced by
    several slowly seeping bags yards away. Am I wrong? I'm guessing.

I think it is not necessary to apologize to someone you are correcting,
    they probably appreciate it. Apologizing implies that you must be
    hurting them when you correct them because they are more interested in
    pride than truth. Dino plainly isn't hurt. I think R is too easily
    frustrated by seeing errors. Errors are normal in BBS environments and
    not a problem if they're corrected. I understand errors from others add
    to the writing load R has to do to maintain the high standards of
    accuracy we expect from TOL.

Lee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.