programme descrition Series 2 An inch of Candle

Forum Forums General Discussions programme descrition Series 2 An inch of Candle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ONEDIN LINE SERIES 2.  PROGRAMME 10
    AN INCH OF CANDLE by MARTIN WORTH
    Viv Dodd    one of my favourite  programmes as James comes to realize at the end
    that Anne is more important than another ship.

Making passage home, James and Baines find an abandoned schooner adrift and
    despite Baines’ poor opinion of her, James is intrigued by the mystery of the
    abandoned Maria da Gloria.  James boards the ship, jettisons the spoiled cargo
    of sugar and takes her in tow to Ireland.
    Meanwhile, Anne is carrying coal up steps in their ‘infernal basement’ home
    whilst Elizabeth tuts at James’ inconsiderate treatment of her. Anne feels
    queasy and says ‘It’s  just a touch of sickness that comes over me at times’
    ‘Sickness?’ retorts Elizabeth and they stare at one another as Anne says ‘ Well
    haven’t you ever……. Oh no, it couldn’t be that’.
    Robert also is accidently told of Anne’s condition by Elizabeth when he shows
    concern for her as she bursts into tears for no apparent reason but ambitious
    Sarah is concerned at the news because if James has a son,he’ll inherit the
    Onedin Line, not their Samuel.
    Anne goes to greet James on the Charlotte Rhodes and he excitedly tells her his
    news of the ship that he can make money from one way or another. ‘James I’m
    having a baby’ Anne finally blurts out. ‘What did ya say?’  ‘I’m with child’ 
    ‘Why didn’t ya say so?’
    ‘I’ve been trying to but you didn’t give me the room to get a word in edgeways’
    ‘You sure?’ James needs confirmation. ‘ I wasn’t at first. I couldn’t believe it
    but I’m sure now. James … is it good news?’ Anne asks hesitantly.  ‘Good news –
    its wonderful news – most wonderful news I’ve heard in all my life’.
    James is close to having the money to buy back enough shares to be in control of
    the Onedin Line again but Elizabeth pesters him to get Anne out of the basement
    into a proper house. Robert arrives with news of the auction for the Maria da
    Gloria in Roscarberry. The insurers own it as no named owner can be traced and
    they appear to want a quick sale. James believes she is undervalued and he,
    Robert and Anne (who insists she go) decide to take a steamer to Roscarberry.
    Anne feels unwell on the journey and James says ‘you’re never seasick – it’s the
    baby. Should have stayed at home – I told you’.
    In Ireland they inspect the ship and meet Mr Sankey from the insurers who is
    disparaging about her qualities and value. James is uneasy about what is being
    done with the ship and leaves Anne in bed that night to look over her again. He
    finds evidence that she was a ‘slaver’ whose owners would not have registered
    her to avoid discovery of the illegal trade and he tells Anne and Robert the
    next day ‘ Hang the salvage award – I’d rather have the ship. For five hundred
    pounds she’d be an absolute bargain. On the fruit run from the Azores, she’d
    beat everybody home’.  Anne says, ’but I thought the five hundred pounds was for
    a house’.  James replies ‘oh Anne we can always get a house’.
    Daniel Fogarty is in league with the insurers and would buy the ship as cheaply
    as possible if no one else were interested – it would also do James out of a
    fair price for salvage. Emma Callon is dispatched to visit Anne and James on the
    pretext of asking after her condition but James is now convinced that there is
    some underhand dealings with Fogarty and the ship. ‘Anne, if it should be
    necessary to find more than £500 would you begrudge the expenditure?’
    Anne asks ‘ how could you raise the money?’   ‘Sell some of the shares’
    ‘Couldn’t you sell a few more and we could have a house aswell?’ Anne.
    James,’Be a year before the Maria da Gloria made enough profit to buy back the
    shares’
    Anne,’And a house could’t make any profit to buy them back’.
    ‘You would begrudge it me eh?’
    James makes it appear to Fogarty, Anne and everyone else that he has no interest
    in the ship and James prepares to sail with Capt Baines who makes sure Fogarty
    knows of the voyage. James says ‘ Anne that ship could be the way back for
    us’.   Anne, ‘ another ship, another gamble ? Oh I’m sorry, I just feel so
    weary’. Then she is told that James had already decided to attend the auction in
    Ireland – he was never to sail with Capt Baines. However, Anne is philosophical
    as she tells Elizabeth ‘ I married James for security but I love him for the
    lack of it’.
    The auction is one where bidding happens whilst an inch of candle burns and the
    last bid before the candle extinguishes is the winner. James and \Fogarty go
    head to head. James bids two thousand and eight hundred pounds as the candle
    dies and meanwhile, carrying coal for the range, induces Anne to miscarry.
    James returns home and is telling his tale to Robert, emphasizing that the cost
    of the bid would be offset by the one thousand pound salvage money due to him
    when he realizes Capt Webster and Elizabeth are there also to tell him the news
    of Anne. He rushes to her bed and she asks ‘Did we get the schooner?’  James
    answers huskily ‘yeah’
    ‘Good, its what we need’. But James shakes his head as he grasps Anne in his
    arms.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

liamegan2000
    'An Inch of candle' and 'ship devils' has been added to the website.

Navigation and images still have to be added. I'll do some screen caps and upload them.

Bill.

—– Original Message —–
    To: shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:07 PM
    Subject: [shiponedingroup] programme descrition Series 2 An inch of Candle

ONEDIN LINE SERIES 2. PROGRAMME 10
    Viv Dodd one of my favourite programmes as James comes to realize at the end

abandoned Maria da Gloria. James boards the ship, jettisons the spoiled cargo
    queasy and says ‘It’s just a touch of sickness that comes over me at times’
    having a baby’ Anne finally blurts out. ‘What did ya say?’ ‘I’m with child’
    ‘Why didn’t ya say so?’
    ‘You sure?’ James needs confirmation. ‘ I wasn’t at first. I couldn’t believe it
    but I’m sure now. James … is it good news?’ Anne asks hesitantly. ‘Good news –
    James is close to having the money to buy back enough shares to be in control of
    Anne feels unwell on the journey and James says ‘you’re never seasick – it’s the
    beat everybody home’. Anne says, ’but I thought the five hundred pounds was for
    a house’. James replies ‘oh Anne we can always get a house’.
    fair price for salvage. Emma Callon is dispatched to visit Anne and James on the
    Anne asks ‘ how could you raise the money?’ ‘Sell some of the shares’
    shares’
    James makes it appear to Fogarty, Anne and everyone else that he has no interest
    us’. Anne, ‘ another ship, another gamble ? Oh I’m sorry, I just feel so
    weary’. Then she is told that James had already decided to attend the auction in
    lack of it’.
    of Anne. He rushes to her bed and she asks ‘Did we get the schooner?’ James
    answers huskily ‘yeah’
    arms.

——————————————————————————

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG – http://www.avg.com
    Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3323 – Release Date: 12/18/10 07:34:00

liamegan2000
    I've not been receiving notifications and mail from the list for the last week or so, on top of this of course the holiday period has kept me away from the computer with all the details on it.

Once I've found out what the problems are I'll get back to the descriptions etc.

Apologies to anyone who has been waiting for membership approval or moderation on messages.

Like we used to see on TV, "Normal Service Will Be Resumed As Soon As Possible!"

Bill

—– Original Message —–
    Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:13 PM
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] programme descrition Series 2 An inch of Candle

Navigation and images still have to be added. I'll do some screen caps and upload them.

Bill.

—– Original Message —–

‘Why didn’t ya say so?’
    shares’
    lack of it’.
    answers huskily ‘yeah’
    arms.

———————————————————-

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3323 – Release Date: 12/18/10 07:34:00

——————————————————————————

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3329 – Release Date: 12/21/10 07:34:00

chrisjbrady
    Participant
    Yahoo are fiddling big time with Groups and Mail – join the thousands of pi$$ed off members. CJB.

— On Sun, 9/1/11, Bill <william.whittaker1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

Date: Sunday, 9 January, 2011, 16:21

I've not been receiving notifications and mail from the list for the last week or so, on top of this of course the holiday period has kept me away from the computer with all the details on it.

Once I've found out what the problems are I'll get back to the descriptions etc.

Apologies to anyone who has been waiting for membership approval or moderation on messages.

Like we used to see on TV, "Normal Service Will Be Resumed As Soon As Possible!"

Bill

—– Original Message —–

Bill.

—– Original Message —–

‘Why didn’t ya say so?’
    shares’
    lack of it’.
    answers huskily ‘yeah’
    arms.

———————————————————-

———————————————————-

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3329 – Release Date: 12/21/10 07:34:00

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    Hey, maybe now they can get rid of the sleazebag biker women that keep
    abusing our group space to solicit business. ARE YOU LISTENING YAHOO GROUP
    BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a message dated 1/9/2011 11:30:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
    chrisjbrady@yahoo.com writes:

Yahoo are fiddling big time with Groups and Mail – join the thousands of
    pi$$ed off members. CJB.

— On Sun, 9/1/11, Bill <_william.whittaker1@ntlworld.com_
    (mailto:william.whittaker1@ntlworld.com) > wrote:

(mailto:william.whittaker1@ntlworld.com) >
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] programme descrition Series 2 An inch of
    Candle
    To: _shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com_
    (mailto:shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com)
    Date: Sunday, 9 January, 2011, 16:21

I've not been receiving notifications and mail from the list for the last
    week or so, on top of this of course the holiday period has kept me away
    from the computer with all the details on it.

Once I've found out what the problems are I'll get back to the
    descriptions etc.

Apologies to anyone who has been waiting for membership approval or
    moderation on messages.

Like we used to see on TV, "Normal Service Will Be Resumed As Soon As
    Possible!"

Bill

—– Original Message —–
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] programme descrition Series 2 An inch of
    Candle

Navigation and images still have to be added. I'll do some screen caps and
    upload them.

Bill.

—– Original Message —–

Viv Dodd one of my favourite programmes as James comes to realize at the
    end

Making passage home, James and Baines find an abandoned schooner adrift
    and
    despite Baines’ poor opinion of her, James is intrigued by the mystery of
    the
    abandoned Maria da Gloria. James boards the ship, jettisons the spoiled
    cargo
    Meanwhile, Anne is carrying coal up steps in their ‘infernal basement’
    home
    queasy and says ‘It’s just a touch of sickness that comes over me at times

‘Sickness?’ retorts Elizabeth and they stare at one another as Anne says ‘
    Well
    Robert also is accidently told of Anne’s condition by Elizabeth when he
    shows
    concern for her as she bursts into tears for no apparent reason but
    ambitious
    Sarah is concerned at the news because if James has a son,he’ll inherit
    the
    Anne goes to greet James on the Charlotte Rhodes and he excitedly tells
    her his
    news of the ship that he can make money from one way or another. ‘James I’
    m
    having a baby’ Anne finally blurts out. ‘What did ya say?’ ‘I’m with
    child’
    ‘Why didn’t ya say so?’
    ‘I’ve been trying to but you didn’t give me the room to get a word in
    edgeways’
    ‘You sure?’ James needs confirmation. ‘ I wasn’t at first. I couldn’t
    believe it
    but I’m sure now. James … is it good news?’ Anne asks hesitantly. ‘Good
    news –
    James is close to having the money to buy back enough shares to be in
    control of
    the Onedin Line again but Elizabeth pesters him to get Anne out of the
    basement
    into a proper house. Robert arrives with news of the auction for the Maria
    da
    Gloria in Roscarberry. The insurers own it as no named owner can be traced
    and
    they appear to want a quick sale. James believes she is undervalued and
    he,
    Robert and Anne (who insists she go) decide to take a steamer to
    Roscarberry.
    Anne feels unwell on the journey and James says ‘you’re never seasick – it
    ’s the
    In Ireland they inspect the ship and meet Mr Sankey from the insurers who
    is
    disparaging about her qualities and value. James is uneasy about what is
    being
    done with the ship and leaves Anne in bed that night to look over her
    again. He
    finds evidence that she was a ‘slaver’ whose owners would not have
    registered
    her to avoid discovery of the illegal trade and he tells Anne and Robert
    the
    next day ‘ Hang the salvage award – I’d rather have the ship. For five
    hundred
    pounds she’d be an absolute bargain. On the fruit run from the Azores, she’
    d
    beat everybody home’. Anne says, ’but I thought the five hundred pounds
    was for
    Daniel Fogarty is in league with the insurers and would buy the ship as
    cheaply
    as possible if no one else were interested – it would also do James out of
    a
    fair price for salvage. Emma Callon is dispatched to visit Anne and James
    on the
    pretext of asking after her condition but James is now convinced that
    there is
    James,’Be a year before the Maria da Gloria made enough profit to buy back
    the
    shares’
    James makes it appear to Fogarty, Anne and everyone else that he has no
    interest
    in the ship and James prepares to sail with Capt Baines who makes sure
    Fogarty
    weary’. Then she is told that James had already decided to attend the
    auction in
    Ireland – he was never to sail with Capt Baines. However, Anne is
    philosophical
    as she tells Elizabeth ‘ I married James for security but I love him for
    the
    lack of it’.
    The auction is one where bidding happens whilst an inch of candle burns
    and the
    last bid before the candle extinguishes is the winner. James and \Fogarty
    go
    head to head. James bids two thousand and eight hundred pounds as the
    candle
    James returns home and is telling his tale to Robert, emphasizing that the
    cost
    of the bid would be offset by the one thousand pound salvage money due to
    him
    when he realizes Capt Webster and Elizabeth are there also to tell him the
    news
    of Anne. He rushes to her bed and she asks ‘Did we get the schooner?’
    James
    answers huskily ‘yeah’
    ‘Good, its what we need’. But James shakes his head as he grasps Anne in
    his
    arms.

———————————————————-

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3323 – Release Date: 12/18/10
    07:34:00

———————————————————-

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3329 – Release Date: 12/21/10
    07:34:00

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.