Programme description for perusal – hope it can be used and I can do some more?

Forum Forums General Discussions Programme description for perusal – hope it can be used and I can do some more?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SERIES 3. EPISODE 1 The ship Devils.
    The steamship `Anne Onedin' is launched by Elizabeth and Robert. Albert Frazer has gone to the Argentine to make his fortune and Jack Frazer wants paying for the ship his yard has built.
    We see a 10 year old William as we are told that James is busy making as much money as he can from buying cheap, old sailing ships and working them. Jack Frazer urges Elizabeth and Robert to get out whilst shares in the Onedin Line are worth something.
    James is still in mourning 6 months after Anne's death in childbirth and is aboard ship with a young Leonora Biddulph and her coal mine owner/ merchant father who finds her a lively handful. James saves Leonora from being injured by some swinging rigging and it is obvious from the look and the thanks that she gives him that she is infatuated by him.
    Biddulph tries to console James as he too has lost a beloved wife. He feels he can do this as he tells James that Leonora has a great admiration for him. `She's a child'- James dismisses Biddulph's news and also his sympathy.
    Daniel Foggarty and Emma Callon have an unhappy marriage and the Callon company is losing money – `you're a failure at business Daniel'.
    Baby Charlotte and Captain Webster appear to be the responsibilities of Robert and Sarah and James did not even attend his daughter's christening. Robert has ambitions to be a Liverpool Liberal councillor.
    Leonora begins her plan of action to gain James' notice and approval by asking Capt Baines what would please him most. Biddulph offers James the contract to carry his coal because Leonora asked him to.
    Emma Foggarty goes weeping to Jack Frazer, pleading with him to run her company for half the profits – he settles for 51% – The Frazer Shipping Company. Daniel goes back to sea.
    Mr Samuel Plimsol is photographing all ships to have proof of overloading and support his campaign to help sailors.
    Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is developing the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert ` he's not the man I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days James. You're not one half the man you once were – you've lost your spirit'.
    James and Frazer argue over the costs of the Anne Onedin and they both attend a dinner at Robert's where Mr Plimsol is guest of honour and expands on his plans to protect sailors. Leonora, there with her father, tries to attract James' attention, without success.
    Foggarty is captain of a ship chartered by James that sinks and he maintains that it had been patched up cheaply for sea with sham bolts (ship devils) for the Frazer yard and James to make quick profits. Biddulph is unsettled by this and states that the coal contract cannot be given to James.
    Plimsol challenges Frazer about the quality of the shipyards work. There is an enquiry which clears James and Frazer of any wrong doing.
    Eliz refuses Albert's request to join him in the Argentine which James agrees with as he thinks she should come and live with him. Elizabeth refuses to be James `housekeeper' as Leonora arrives and she says `should you wish to apply for the position of unpaid housekeeper and drudge, I'm sure my brother will give you a sympathetic hearing'. Leonora `oh I should love to apply. I'm a most excellent cook' James `Miss Biddulph, my sister has a somewhat acid sense of humour – a family trait'. As a possible hint of what is to come Leonora says that her father has been persuaded to change his mind and allow James the coal contract – `persuaded? By whom?' James asks. Leonora `I always get my own way Mr Onedin' `Oh aye?' James.

Script by Cyril Abraham.

liamegan2000
    Well unless anyone has an objection I'd say that a good effort and will go on the site.

What name should I use as the author of this description?

Please feel free to do more.

And for general information for everyone, the descriptions should be your own effort, no copy and pastes!

Bill.

—– Original Message —–
    To: shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:57 PM
    Subject: [shiponedingroup] Programme description for perusal – hope it can be used and I can do some more?

The steamship `Anne Onedin' is launched by Elizabeth and Robert. Albert Frazer has gone to the Argentine to make his fortune and Jack Frazer wants paying for the ship his yard has built.
    We see a 10 year old William as we are told that James is busy making as much money as he can from buying cheap, old sailing ships and working them. Jack Frazer urges Elizabeth and Robert to get out whilst shares in the Onedin Line are worth something.
    James is still in mourning 6 months after Anne's death in childbirth and is aboard ship with a young Leonora Biddulph and her coal mine owner/ merchant father who finds her a lively handful. James saves Leonora from being injured by some swinging rigging and it is obvious from the look and the thanks that she gives him that she is infatuated by him.
    Biddulph tries to console James as he too has lost a beloved wife. He feels he can do this as he tells James that Leonora has a great admiration for him. `She's a child'- James dismisses Biddulph's news and also his sympathy.
    Daniel Foggarty and Emma Callon have an unhappy marriage and the Callon company is losing money – `you're a failure at business Daniel'.
    Baby Charlotte and Captain Webster appear to be the responsibilities of Robert and Sarah and James did not even attend his daughter's christening. Robert has ambitions to be a Liverpool Liberal councillor.
    Leonora begins her plan of action to gain James' notice and approval by asking Capt Baines what would please him most. Biddulph offers James the contract to carry his coal because Leonora asked him to.
    Emma Foggarty goes weeping to Jack Frazer, pleading with him to run her company for half the profits – he settles for 51% – The Frazer Shipping Company. Daniel goes back to sea.
    Mr Samuel Plimsol is photographing all ships to have proof of overloading and support his campaign to help sailors.
    Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is developing the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert ` he's not the man I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days James. You're not one half the man you once were – you've lost your spirit'.
    James and Frazer argue over the costs of the Anne Onedin and they both attend a dinner at Robert's where Mr Plimsol is guest of honour and expands on his plans to protect sailors. Leonora, there with her father, tries to attract James' attention, without success.
    Foggarty is captain of a ship chartered by James that sinks and he maintains that it had been patched up cheaply for sea with sham bolts (ship devils) for the Frazer yard and James to make quick profits. Biddulph is unsettled by this and states that the coal contract cannot be given to James.
    Plimsol challenges Frazer about the quality of the shipyards work. There is an enquiry which clears James and Frazer of any wrong doing.
    Eliz refuses Albert's request to join him in the Argentine which James agrees with as he thinks she should come and live with him. Elizabeth refuses to be James `housekeeper' as Leonora arrives and she says `should you wish to apply for the position of unpaid housekeeper and drudge, I'm sure my brother will give you a sympathetic hearing'. Leonora `oh I should love to apply. I'm a most excellent cook' James `Miss Biddulph, my sister has a somewhat acid sense of humour – a family trait'. As a possible hint of what is to come Leonora says that her father has been persuaded to change his mind and allow James the coal contract – `persuaded? By whom?' James asks. Leonora `I always get my own way Mr Onedin' `Oh aye?' James.

Script by Cyril Abraham.

——————————————————————————

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG – http://www.avg.com
    Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3318 – Release Date: 12/15/10 19:34:00

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

author name   Viv Dodd. Thanks Will write some more? It keeps me happy whilst
    its snowing.

Sent: Thursday, 16 December, 2010 16:11:10
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Programme description for perusal – hope it can
    be used and I can do some more?

Well unless anyone has an objection I'd say that a good effort and will go on
    the site.

And for general information for everyone, the descriptions should be your own
    effort, no copy and pastes!

Bill.

—– Original Message —–
      Subject: [shiponedingroup] Programme description for perusal – hope it can be
    used and I can do some more?

The steamship `Anne Onedin' is launched by Elizabeth and Robert. Albert Frazer
    has gone to the Argentine to make his fortune and Jack Frazer wants paying for
    the ship his yard has built.
      We see a 10 year old William as we are told that James is busy making as much
    money as he can from buying cheap, old sailing ships and working them. Jack
    Frazer urges Elizabeth and Robert to get out whilst shares in the Onedin Line
    are worth something.
      James is still in mourning 6 months after Anne's death in childbirth and is
    aboard ship with a young Leonora Biddulph and her coal mine owner/ merchant
    father who finds her a lively handful. James saves Leonora from being injured by
    some swinging rigging and it is obvious from the look and the thanks that she
    gives him that she is infatuated by him.
      Biddulph tries to console James as he too has lost a beloved wife. He feels he
    can do this as he tells James that Leonora has a great admiration for him.
    `She's a child'- James dismisses Biddulph's news and also his sympathy.
      Daniel Foggarty and Emma Callon have an unhappy marriage and the Callon
    company is losing money – `you're a failure at business Daniel'.
      Baby Charlotte and Captain Webster appear to be the responsibilities of Robert
    and Sarah and James did not even attend his daughter's christening. Robert has
    ambitions to be a Liverpool Liberal councillor.
      Leonora begins her plan of action to gain James' notice and approval by asking
    Capt Baines what would please him most. Biddulph offers James the contract to
    carry his coal because Leonora asked him to.
      Emma Foggarty goes weeping to Jack Frazer, pleading with him to run her
    company for half the profits – he settles for 51% – The Frazer Shipping Company.
    Daniel goes back to sea.
      Mr Samuel Plimsol is photographing all ships to have proof of overloading and
    support his campaign to help sailors.
      Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is developing
    the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert ` he's not the man
    I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days James. You're not one
    half the man you once were – you've lost your spirit'.
      James and Frazer argue over the costs of the Anne Onedin and they both attend
    a dinner at Robert's where Mr Plimsol is guest of honour and expands on his
    plans to protect sailors. Leonora, there with her father, tries to attract
    James' attention, without success.
      Foggarty is captain of a ship chartered by James that sinks and he maintains
    that it had been patched up cheaply for sea with sham bolts (ship devils) for
    the Frazer yard and James to make quick profits. Biddulph is unsettled by this
    and states that the coal contract cannot be given to James.
      Plimsol challenges Frazer about the quality of the shipyards work. There is an
    enquiry which clears James and Frazer of any wrong doing.
      Eliz refuses Albert's request to join him in the Argentine which James agrees
    with as he thinks she should come and live with him. Elizabeth refuses to be
    James `housekeeper' as Leonora arrives and she says `should you wish to apply
    for the position of unpaid housekeeper and drudge, I'm sure my brother will give
    you a sympathetic hearing'. Leonora `oh I should love to apply. I'm a most
    excellent cook' James `Miss Biddulph, my sister has a somewhat acid sense of
    humour – a family trait'. As a possible hint of what is to come Leonora says
    that her father has been persuaded to change his mind and allow James the coal
    contract – `persuaded? By whom?' James asks. Leonora `I always get my own way Mr
    Onedin' `Oh aye?' James.

Script by Cyril Abraham.

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3318 – Release Date: 12/15/10
    19:34:00

————————————

Website about the Onedin Line http://www.sound-research.co.uk/onedin_line.htm
    Yahoo! Groups Links

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    Thanks for doing this…

But does anyone have any idea? Why does Eliz say this about James? I dont see any sign that he's lost his spirt exactly? He is desperately unhappy about Anne's death… surely that is natural.

Any discussion?

— > Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is developing the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert ` he's not the man I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days James. You're not one half the man you once were – you've lost your spirit'.

> >
    >
    > ——————————————————————————
    >
    >

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    i don't have any exact facts to prove this with, it's just a feeling. a feeling I've always had about James and that was why he was my fav character. that under that hard surface and difficult temperament, he was as lost as anyone. and because he wasn't very influenceable and therefore could not change to become less unhappy, I pitied him quite a lot. I tend to fall for that typa guy, lol

========================================
    Message Received: Dec 18 2010, 03:59 PM
    Cc:
    Subject: [shiponedingroup] Elizabeth and James query?

Thanks for doing this…

But does anyone have any idea? Why does Eliz say this about James? I dont see any sign that he's lost his spirt exactly? He is desperately unhappy about Anne's death… surely that is natural.

Any discussion?

— > Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is developing the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert ` he's not the man I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days James. You're not one half the man you once were – you've lost your spirit'.

> >
    >
    > ———————————————————-
    >
    >

liamegan2000
    Fine by me, it will be a day or two before I put them on the site lots of other things going on in the run up to Christmas.

Bill.

—– Original Message —–
    Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:21 AM
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Programme description for perusal – hope it can be used and I can do some more?

author name Viv Dodd. Thanks Will write some more? It keeps me happy whilst
    its snowing.

Sent: Thursday, 16 December, 2010 16:11:10
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Programme description for perusal – hope it can
    be used and I can do some more?

Well unless anyone has an objection I'd say that a good effort and will go on
    the site.

And for general information for everyone, the descriptions should be your own
    effort, no copy and pastes!

Bill.

—– Original Message —–
    Subject: [shiponedingroup] Programme description for perusal – hope it can be
    used and I can do some more?

The steamship `Anne Onedin' is launched by Elizabeth and Robert. Albert Frazer
    has gone to the Argentine to make his fortune and Jack Frazer wants paying for
    the ship his yard has built.
    We see a 10 year old William as we are told that James is busy making as much
    money as he can from buying cheap, old sailing ships and working them. Jack
    Frazer urges Elizabeth and Robert to get out whilst shares in the Onedin Line
    are worth something.
    James is still in mourning 6 months after Anne's death in childbirth and is
    aboard ship with a young Leonora Biddulph and her coal mine owner/ merchant
    father who finds her a lively handful. James saves Leonora from being injured by
    some swinging rigging and it is obvious from the look and the thanks that she
    gives him that she is infatuated by him.
    Biddulph tries to console James as he too has lost a beloved wife. He feels he
    can do this as he tells James that Leonora has a great admiration for him.
    `She's a child'- James dismisses Biddulph's news and also his sympathy.
    Daniel Foggarty and Emma Callon have an unhappy marriage and the Callon
    company is losing money – `you're a failure at business Daniel'.
    Baby Charlotte and Captain Webster appear to be the responsibilities of Robert
    and Sarah and James did not even attend his daughter's christening. Robert has
    ambitions to be a Liverpool Liberal councillor.
    Leonora begins her plan of action to gain James' notice and approval by asking
    Capt Baines what would please him most. Biddulph offers James the contract to
    carry his coal because Leonora asked him to.
    Emma Foggarty goes weeping to Jack Frazer, pleading with him to run her
    company for half the profits – he settles for 51% – The Frazer Shipping Company.
    Daniel goes back to sea.
    Mr Samuel Plimsol is photographing all ships to have proof of overloading and
    support his campaign to help sailors.
    Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is developing
    the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert ` he's not the man
    I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days James. You're not one
    half the man you once were – you've lost your spirit'.
    James and Frazer argue over the costs of the Anne Onedin and they both attend
    a dinner at Robert's where Mr Plimsol is guest of honour and expands on his
    plans to protect sailors. Leonora, there with her father, tries to attract
    James' attention, without success.
    Foggarty is captain of a ship chartered by James that sinks and he maintains
    that it had been patched up cheaply for sea with sham bolts (ship devils) for
    the Frazer yard and James to make quick profits. Biddulph is unsettled by this
    and states that the coal contract cannot be given to James.
    Plimsol challenges Frazer about the quality of the shipyards work. There is an
    enquiry which clears James and Frazer of any wrong doing.
    Eliz refuses Albert's request to join him in the Argentine which James agrees
    with as he thinks she should come and live with him. Elizabeth refuses to be
    James `housekeeper' as Leonora arrives and she says `should you wish to apply
    for the position of unpaid housekeeper and drudge, I'm sure my brother will give
    you a sympathetic hearing'. Leonora `oh I should love to apply. I'm a most
    excellent cook' James `Miss Biddulph, my sister has a somewhat acid sense of
    humour – a family trait'. As a possible hint of what is to come Leonora says
    that her father has been persuaded to change his mind and allow James the coal
    contract – `persuaded? By whom?' James asks. Leonora `I always get my own way Mr
    Onedin' `Oh aye?' James.

Script by Cyril Abraham.

———————————————————-

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3318 – Release Date: 12/15/10
    19:34:00

————————————

Website about the Onedin Line http://www.sound-research.co.uk/onedin_line.htm
    Yahoo! Groups Links

Version: 8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3323 – Release Date: 12/18/10 07:34:00

galacticprobe
    Participant
    This was only Episode 10, and actually, I believe James is unhappy about Anne's miscarriage, and the loss of what could possibly have been the heir to his shipping empire one day. That would definitely have James feeling very somber, and for a while that could give the impression that he has lost some of his spirit. Also, if I remember correctly, there was always some friction between James and Elizabeth, not always shown openly between the two, but shown as they spoke of each other to other people. (It's been a while so I could be wrong about that, but it may explain why Elizabeth was so callous in her comments.)

Anne dies in the last episode of Series 2, Episode 14 "Race For Power", while actually giving birth to James' daughter, who I believe James names Anne after her (now late) mother. James was definitely saddened when Anne died as he had grown to love her very much.

Dino.

On Dec 18, 2010, at 10:59:46 AM, regencylady04 <regencylady04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Date: December 18, 2010 10:59:46 AM EST
    Thanks for doing this…

Any discussion?

> >�
    >�
    > ———————————————————-
    >�
    >�

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    James names his daughter Charlotte, not Anne.

In a message dated 12/18/2010 7:36:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
    LambuLambu@aol.com writes:

This was only Episode 10, and actually, I believe James is unhappy about
    Anne's miscarriage, and the loss of what could possibly have been the heir
    to his shipping empire one day. That would definitely have James feeling
    very somber, and for a while that could give the impression that he has lost
    some of his spirit. Also, if I remember correctly, there was always some
    friction between James and Elizabeth, not always shown openly between the two,
    but shown as they spoke of each other to other people. (It's been a while
    so I could be wrong about that, but it may explain why Elizabeth was so
    callous in her comments.)

Anne dies in the last episode of Series 2, Episode 14 "Race For Power",
    while actually giving birth to James' daughter, who I believe James names
    Anne after her (now late) mother. James was definitely saddened when Anne died
    as he had grown to love her very much.

Dino.

On Dec 18, 2010, at 10:59:46 AM, regencylady04 <regencylady04@yahoo.co.uk>
    wrote:

Thanks for doing this…

But does anyone have any idea? Why does Eliz say this about James? I dont
    see any sign that he's lost his spirt exactly? He is desperately unhappy
    about Anne's death… surely that is natural.

Any discussion?

— > Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is
    developing the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert `
    he's not the man I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days
    James. You're not one half the man you once were – you've lost your
    spirit'.

> >
    >
    > ———————————————————-
    >
    >

————————————

Website about the Onedin Line
    http://www.sound-research.co.uk/onedin_line.htm Yahoo! Groups Links

galacticprobe
    Participant
    AAAHH!! You are correct, sir. I do remember that now. He named his daughter after his first acquired ship, '"Charlotte" Rhodes'. It was his steamship that he was having built during one series that he was going to name the 'Anne Onedin'. (So many names, so many years gone by, not enough brain cells.)

I stand corrected.

Dino.

On Dec 18, 2010, at 7:39:01 PM, sgflikchik@aol.com wrote:

Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Elizabeth and James query?
    Date: December 18, 2010 7:39:01 PM EST

In a message dated 12/18/2010 7:36:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,�
    LambuLambu@aol.com�writes:

This was only Episode 10, and actually, I believe James is unhappy about�
    Anne's miscarriage, and the loss of what could possibly have been the heir�
    to his shipping empire one day. That would definitely have James feeling�
    very somber, and for a while that could give the impression that he has lost�
    some of his spirit. Also, if I remember correctly, there was always some�
    friction between James and Elizabeth, not always shown openly between the two,�
    but shown as they spoke of each other to other people. (It's been a while�
    so I could be wrong about that, but it may explain why Elizabeth was so�

Anne dies in the last episode of Series 2, Episode 14 "Race For Power",�
    while actually giving birth to James' daughter, who I believe James names�
    Anne after her (now late) mother. James was definitely saddened when Anne died�

Dino.

On Dec 18, 2010, at 10:59:46 AM, regencylady04 <regencylady04@yahoo.co.uk>�
    wrote:

To:�shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com
    Thanks for doing this…

But does anyone have any idea? Why does Eliz say this about James? I dont�
    see any sign that he's lost his spirt exactly? He is desperately unhappy�

Any discussion?

— > Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is�
    developing the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert `�
    he's not the man I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days�
    James. You're not one half the man you once were – you've lost your�
    spirit'.
    > >�
    >�
    > ———————————————————-
    >�
    >�

————————————

Website about the Onedin Line�
    http://www.sound-research.co.uk/onedin_line.htm%ef%bf%bdYahoo! Groups Links

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    That's ok. When Charolotte married Samuel Onedin, they had a daughter and
    named her Anne.

In a message dated 12/18/2010 7:47:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

AAAHH!! You are correct, sir. I do remember that now. He named his
    daughter after his first acquired ship, '"Charlotte" Rhodes'. It was his steamship
    that he was having built during one series that he was going to name the
    'Anne Onedin'. (So many names, so many years gone by, not enough brain
    cells.)

I stand corrected.

Dino.

On Dec 18, 2010, at 7:39:01 PM, sgflikchik@aol.com wrote:

Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Elizabeth and James query?
    Date: December 18, 2010 7:39:01 PM EST

In a message dated 12/18/2010 7:36:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

This was only Episode 10, and actually, I believe James is unhappy about
    Anne's miscarriage, and the loss of what could possibly have been the
    heir
    to his shipping empire one day. That would definitely have James feeling
    very somber, and for a while that could give the impression that he has
    lost
    some of his spirit. Also, if I remember correctly, there was always some
    friction between James and Elizabeth, not always shown openly between the
    two,
    but shown as they spoke of each other to other people. (It's been a while
    so I could be wrong about that, but it may explain why Elizabeth was so

Anne dies in the last episode of Series 2, Episode 14 "Race For Power",
    while actually giving birth to James' daughter, who I believe James names
    Anne after her (now late) mother. James was definitely saddened when Anne
    died

Dino.

On Dec 18, 2010, at 10:59:46 AM, regencylady04 <regencylady04@yahoo.co.uk>
    wrote:

Thanks for doing this…

But does anyone have any idea? Why does Eliz say this about James? I dont
    see any sign that he's lost his spirt exactly? He is desperately unhappy

Any discussion?

— > Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is
    developing the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert `
    he's not the man I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these
    days
    James. You're not one half the man you once were – you've lost your
    spirit'.
    > >
    >
    > ———————————————————-
    >
    >

————————————

————————————

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    No Im referring to the summary of Ep 1 of the Third Series of the show which is shortly after Anne's death.

— In shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com, sgflikchik@… wrote:
    >
    > James names his daughter Charlotte, not Anne.
    >
    >
    > In a message dated 12/18/2010 7:36:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
    > LambuLambu@… writes:
    >
    > This was only Episode 10, and actually, I believe James is unhappy about
    > Anne's miscarriage, and the loss of what could possibly have been the heir
    > to his shipping empire one day. That would definitely have James feeling
    > very somber, and for a while that could give the impression that he has lost
    > some of his spirit. Also, if I remember correctly, there was always some
    > friction between James and Elizabeth, not always shown openly between the two,
    > but shown as they spoke of each other to other people. (It's been a while
    > so I could be wrong about that, but it may explain why Elizabeth was so
    > callous in her comments.)
    >
    >

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    I think it is more likely that the ship Charl Rhodes was named after Anne's late mother, it belonged to her father who bought it wehn he retired from the Navy.. and IIRC James didn't wnat the baby to be called Anne, because he is so upset at Anne's death…(and it woudl be confusing for audiences to have 2 Annes) so she's given hte name Charlotte after her grandmohter. Later I think it becomes a "family joke" that Charlotte is named after the ship.

Regency

— In shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com, lambulambu <LambuLambu@…> wrote:
    >
    > AAAHH!! You are correct, sir. I do remember that now. He named his daughter after his first acquired ship, '"Charlotte" Rhodes'. It was his steamship that he was having built during one series that he was going to name the 'Anne Onedin'. (So many names, so many years gone by, not enough brain cells.)
    >
    > I stand corrected.
    >
    > Dino.
    >
    > On Dec 18, 2010, at 7:39:01 PM, sgflikchik@… wrote:
    >
    > From: sgflikchik@…
    > Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Elizabeth and James query?
    > Date: December 18, 2010 7:39:01 PM EST
    > To: shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com
    > James names his daughter Charlotte, not Anne.
    >
    >
    > In a message dated 12/18/2010 7:36:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 
    > LambuLambu@… writes:
    >
    > This was only Episode 10, and actually, I believe James is unhappy about 
    > Anne's miscarriage, and the loss of what could possibly have been the heir 
    > to his shipping empire one day. That would definitely have James feeling 
    > very somber, and for a while that could give the impression that he has lost 
    > some of his spirit. Also, if I remember correctly, there was always some 
    > friction between James and Elizabeth, not always shown openly between the two, 
    > but shown as they spoke of each other to other people. (It's been a while 
    > so I could be wrong about that, but it may explain why Elizabeth was so 
    > callous in her comments.)
    >
    > Anne dies in the last episode of Series 2, Episode 14 "Race For Power", 
    > while actually giving birth to James' daughter, who I believe James names 
    > Anne after her (now late) mother. James was definitely saddened when Anne died 
    > as he had grown to love her very much.
    >
    > Dino.
    >
    > On Dec 18, 2010, at 10:59:46 AM, regencylady04 <regencylady04@…> 
    > wrote:
    >
    > From: regencylady04 <regencylady04@…>
    > Subject: [shiponedingroup] Elizabeth and James query?
    > Date: December 18, 2010 10:59:46 AM EST
    > To: shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com
    > Thanks for doing this…
    >
    > But does anyone have any idea? Why does Eliz say this about James? I dont 
    > see any sign that he's lost his spirt exactly? He is desperately unhappy 
    > about Anne's death… surely that is natural.
    >
    > Any discussion?
    >
    > — > Elizabeth is at James' house with a letter from Albert saying he is 
    > developing the means of shipping refrigerated meat. James says of Albert ` 
    > he's not the man I took him for'. Elizabeth replies `nor are you these days 
    > James. You're not one half the man you once were – you've lost your 
    > spirit'.
    > > > 
    > > 
    > > ———————————————————-
    > > 
    > > 
    >
    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    >
    > ————————————
    >
    > Website about the Onedin Line 
    > http://www.sound-research.co.uk/onedin_line.htm%c2%a0Yahoo! Groups Links
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Sort of reminds one of "Doc Martin", James Onedin does; doesn't he?

Dino.

In a message dated 12/19/2010 7:10:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
    kilmarnock@transoradea.wanadoo.co.uk writes:

i don't have any exact facts to prove this with, it's just a feeling. a
    feeling I've always had about James and that was why he was my fav character.
    that under that hard surface and difficult temperament, he was as lost as
    anyone. and because he wasn't very influenceable and therefore could not
    change to become less unhappy, I pitied him quite a lot. I tend to fall for
    that typa guy, lol

========================================

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.