Just an introduction

Forum Forums General Discussions Just an introduction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greetings, shipmates!

I'm Bill Scanlan Murphy, and I was Music Advisor on the show for the last two series (7 and 8). I have many happy memories of The Onedin Line. The producer then was the now sadly deceased Geraint Morris; directors included my dear friend Gerald Blake (also now gone, and grievously missed) and David Reynolds, now a mighty power at Yorkshire Television. I also remember two grimly frenetic shows with Pennant Roberts, largely saved by the presence of the mighty T.P. McKenna.

As I am a naval historian as well as a musician, The Onedin Line was the dream job for me. I got the job on the recommendation of Tony Isaac, who did the first five series before handing over to Grant Hossack, who left in 1978. Tony called Geraint, who called me in and hired me on the spot. While I was there, Geraint tried to call Tony back to tell him the news, but got no reply. We learned later that Tony had hanged himself that morning.

I attended every studio recording and (of course) every dub, and even managed to wheedle my way onto a film shoot out of Falmouth in the summer of '79. Onedin was an exceptionally happy show, give or take the odd Geraint tantrum (but then, he was a producer, and that's what they do). Many happy hours were spent in the BBC club with the entire cast; Peter, Howard, Jill and Jessica were not just great performers but great friends – and not a swollen ego in sight.

I wonder how many of you know that Jessica was going to have her own show? During the last season of Onedin, Geraint and Mervyn Haisman developed a series for her called The Heywood Files, about a Victorian lady photographer; I was tapped to write the music. The show was killed at the very last minute; sadly, I don't think I've seen Jessica on screen ever since.

I would love to hear from anyone who was connected with the show, or would like to know more about it. I'm just delighted to have found this group!

———————————
    Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

coolowl2001
    On 26/11/2007, at 10:49 AM, William Murphy wrote:

> I wonder how many of you know that Jessica was going to have her
    > own show?

No I didn't know that, she's a wasted talent! But then she seems
    happy enough pootling about in wellies on her farm. Just so different
    to the furs and furbelows of Elizabeth Onedin!

> I'm just delighted to have found this group!

I'm glad that you have 🙂 It's great to hear more insights into the
    filming and to realise that it was almost a lifetime ago that the
    filming took place yet the show is remembered with affection by those
    who worked on it. And that people who were not even born when it
    aired originally are being drawn to the show via cable or DVD.
    Amazing how quality lasts! 🙂

I just wish that the copyright-owners would get off their collective
    butts and make the entire series available on DVD. With some
    difficulty I bought the first 4 series from Holland but am still
    waiting to see when if ever, there will be more. I might not live to
    see it if they stuff around much longer! When I see how many shows,
    many of indifferent quality, are available on DVD, I still wonder
    whatever possesses the BBC to hang onto the Onedin masters and not
    let anyone play with them.

With best regards

Elaine in Brisbane, Australia

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    Greetings,
    I was crew on the Soren for all of that block of filming out of
    Falmouth so our paths may well have crossed!
    I did suggest (admittedly in my cups at the last night party) to all
    concerned that I had a wonderful idea for a new series, "Grandson of
    Onedin" whereby I ressurected the Onedin interest in sail & set off to
    show that these modern new fangled steamships were in fact no match
    for true sailors in proper ships!!
    Sadly the idea wasn't taken up………..!
    liamegan2000
    It is curious in a way, why such an outstanding series is so difficult to
    obtain, or even why it is not repeated in its entirety on one of the cable
    channels.

I know there have been various problems with permissions (Marc Harrison, who
    played William Frazer was one I believe, but this must have been sorted out
    because series with him in them have now been released) .

The DVD releases we have are mostly from the Netherlands, I wonder if this
    is to do with commercial issues or copyrights?

Or could it be just the sheer scale of the story that makes TV channels
    reluctant to screen it? 91 episodes must be difficult to schedule, even if
    you show one per day.

What we can do is complain/ask/show an interest in the series, with various
    organisations, BBC, UK TV channels, DVD companies like Memphis Bell and so
    on, emailing take only a few minutes. Google will find most of the info
    needed, perhaps we could post useful addresses/links on here.

Bill.

ivaradi
    Keymaster
    Thanks for your message. I know that Khachaturian's Spartacus music was used for the opening and closing credits to The Onedin Line, as well as music by Dmitri Shostakovich. As I understand it, those composers were alive during part of the run of the series (you can correct me if I am wrong). What did Khachaturian or Shostakovich think of their music being used for The Onedin Line? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

—– Original Message —-
    To: shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:49:58 PM
    Subject: [shiponedingroup] Just an introduction

Greetings, shipmates!

I'm Bill Scanlan Murphy, and I was Music Advisor on the show for the last two series (7 and 8). I have many happy memories of The Onedin Line. The producer then was the now sadly deceased Geraint Morris; directors included my dear friend Gerald Blake (also now gone, and grievously missed) and David Reynolds, now a mighty power at Yorkshire Television. I also remember two grimly frenetic shows with Pennant Roberts, largely saved by the presence of the mighty T.P. McKenna.

As I am a naval historian as well as a musician, The Onedin Line was the dream job for me. I got the job on the recommendation of Tony Isaac, who did the first five series before handing over to Grant Hossack, who left in 1978. Tony called Geraint, who called me in and hired me on the spot. While I was there, Geraint tried to call Tony back to tell him the news, but got no reply. We learned later that Tony had hanged himself that morning.

I attended every studio recording and (of course) every dub, and even managed to wheedle my way onto a film shoot out of Falmouth in the summer of '79. Onedin was an exceptionally happy show, give or take the odd Geraint tantrum (but then, he was a producer, and that's what they do). Many happy hours were spent in the BBC club with the entire cast; Peter, Howard, Jill and Jessica were not just great performers but great friends – and not a swollen ego in sight.

I wonder how many of you know that Jessica was going to have her own show? During the last season of Onedin, Geraint and Mervyn Haisman developed a series for her called The Heywood Files, about a Victorian lady photographer; I was tapped to write the music. The show was killed at the very last minute; sadly, I don't think I've seen Jessica on screen ever since.

I would love to hear from anyone who was connected with the show, or would like to know more about it. I'm just delighted to have found this group!

———— ——— ——— —
    Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.

____________________________________________________________________________________
    Be a better pen pal.
    Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

I never heard of Shostakovich responding to his music being used on the show, but Aram Khatchaturian definitely did. Back in Tony Isaac's time (I think around Series 3), the Soviet Embassy gave a reception for the cast and crew of The Onedin Line, with Khatchaturian as guest of honour. Spartacus was a total obscurity until it was picked up (by Tony Isaac) for The Onedin Line; it was known, if at all, as being on the other side of the LP that had the composer's recording of the Saber Dance. The sales of the LP skyrocketed because of The Onedin Line, giving the aged and very infirm composer a very welcome retirement present.

I tended to use mainly British music, by composers like Moeran and Bantock. I tried as hard as I could to make the music sound specially-composed; my offline edits were legendary for their length! We always got shoals of mail asking where to find particular music cues. I also did things like playing the piano for the actors when they needed to be shown playing. One show I did had me wearing the sleeves from an actress's dress so that my hands could be shot at the piano; I expect many viewers wondered why she had such hairy arms ….

Bill Scanlan Murphy

———————————
    Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.