Christian Radich film

Forum Forums General Discussions Christian Radich film

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Onedin cultists and completists (you know who you are!) may like to know that the 1958 film Windjammer, a remarkable documentary about the Christian Radich (the big white ship of the Onedin titles) is on alt.binaries.multimedia.vintage-film.pre-1960 at the moment. Well worth a look if you've never seen it.
    Bill Scanlan Murphy
    Music Adviser, Onedin Line Series 8/9

galacticprobe
    Participant
    Okay, I'm usually quiet about things like this, but calling fellow members names (in the vulgar slang) is uncalled for, especially when one of those members was the Music Advisor to the Series we love so much! Did you ever consider the fact that neither of those members might not have known about the restored film, or that it was available on DVD? Did it occur to you to post the question to them via the Group? Or did you just have this need to fling vulgar insults and accusations at members (which I'm sure must be a violation of the Group's rules)? Mr. Brady, you may be right, but the way you've gone about it is so very wrong.

Moderators, Group Owner, please take some action on this.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    From: Chris J Brady chrisjbrady@yahoo.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    To: shiponedingroup <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Tue, Apr 7, 2015 11:13 am
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Christian Radich film

Fuck guys. Its taken millions of dollars and a huge amount of work to get this film restored. There was only ONE remaining viable print, that was discovered by accident in a vault. This was the basis for the restoration.

The restoration itself – using computer algorithms for the recolouring – took thousands of hours. And the budget even didn't allow for a BluRay version at first.

THERE WERE NO PROFITS TO BE MADE FROM THIS RESTORATION.

Meanwhile some twat made a pirate copy from a worn out print in Australia. He sold DVD copies on eBay.

However when the restored version was released he agree to withdraw his version.

Now we get other twats trying to pirate the film on Usenet, and even Rareshare.me

And they have the gall to advertise here.

For God's sake buy the bloody thing – its worth it and helps to provide funding for further restorations.

CJB

——————————————–

On Tue, 7/4/15, 'Bill' william.whittaker1@ntlworld.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

To: shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Tuesday, 7 April, 2015, 12:44

Thanks for that
    Bill!

Long time since we heard
    from you, hope you are
    keeping well.

If I can find this (i'm
    not normally a user of
    binaries) I'll put it on http://rareshare.me/index.php
    a nice
    little torrent site, which also has the complete Onedin line

series.

Bill.

—– Original Message —–

William Murphy
    lobsanghoskins@yahoo.com [shiponedingroup]
    To: shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Tuesday, April
    07, 2015 10:09
    AM
    Subject:
    [shiponedingroup] Christian
    Radich film

Onedin
    cultists and
    completists (you know who you are!) may like to know that
    the 1958 film
    Windjammer, a remarkable documentary about the Christian
    Radich (the big white
    ship of the Onedin titles) is on
    alt.binaries.multimedia.vintage-film.pre-1960
    at the moment. Well worth a look if you've never seen
    it.

Bill
    Scanlan Murphy
    Music
    Adviser, Onedin Line
    Series 8/9

galacticprobe
    Participant
    I'm definitely going to try to get a look at this one, and hopefully get a copy of the rumored restored version on DVD as the Christian Radich occasionally pulls into Norfolk, Virginia, where I can get a good look at her. We have other 'Onedin Line' ships visit us as well, namely the Soren Larsen, and the Statstraad Lehmkuhl.

Incidentally, I noticed while watching an episode recently that while the Christian Radich was quite often seen in episodes, the ship in the opening credits actually has the name Statstraad Lehmkuhl on the side.

Dino.

—–Original Message—–
    From: 'Bill' william.whittaker1@ntlworld.com [shiponedingroup] <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    To: shiponedingroup <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Tue, Apr 7, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks for that Bill!

Long time since we heard from you, hope you are keeping well.

If I can find this (i'm not normally a user of binaries) I'll put it on http://rareshare.me/index.php a nice little torrent site, which also has the complete Onedin line series.

Bill.

—– Original Message —–
    William Murphy lobsanghoskins@yahoo.com [shiponedingroup]
    Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 10:09 AM
    Subject: [shiponedingroup] Christian Radich film

Onedin cultists and completists (you know who you are!) may like to know that the 1958 film Windjammer, a remarkable documentary about the Christian Radich (the big white ship of the Onedin titles) is on alt.binaries.multimedia.vintage-film.pre-1960 at the moment. Well worth a look if you've never seen it.

Bill Scanlan Murphy
    Music Adviser, Onedin Line Series 8/9

liamegan2000

Quite agree, he is already on moderation and
    cannot post, unless some apology is forthcoming he will be banned and
    deleted.

I'm afraid there was nothing we could do to prevent
    the message going out via email, apologies to any who were
    offended.

Bill.

style="PADDING-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;BORDER-LEFT:#000000 2px solid;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;" dir="ltr">

—– Original Message —–
    Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 9:23
    PM
    Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Christian
    Radich film

Okay, I'm usually quiet about things like this,
    but calling fellow members names (in the vulgar slang) is uncalled for,
    especially when one of those members was the Music Advisor to the Series we
    love so much! Did you ever consider the fact that neither of those members
    might not have known about the restored film, or that it was available on DVD?
    Did it occur to you to post the question to them via the Group? Or did you
    just have this need to fling vulgar insults and accusations at members (which
    I'm sure must be a violation of the Group's rules)? Mr. Brady, you may be
    right, but the way you've gone about it is so very wrong.

Moderators, Group Owner, please take
    some action on this.

Dino.

And thank you, Mr Brady – love you, too.
    I actually own the official DVD release, but it was very poorly distributed. Go to Amazon and see the mess for yourselves. I was simply suggesting a quick way for members of the group to see the film; a true fan would then make the effort to get the official version, as I did.
    For what it's worth, I often see my own stuff – radio shows, TV, interviews, everything – on Youtube, Usenet and elsewhere. Where I feel my rights are being directly infringed for gain, I take appropriate action. I do, however, have the imagination and the charity to distinguish between fan activity and piracy. I have also learned some manners.
    For my more measured friends: I'm still in contact with a few people from my Onedin friends. Alas, precious few of us are still alive. Peter, Howard and so many others are gone. On the production side, Geraint Morris passed away some time back, as did my friends Pennant Roberts and – a very special friend – Gerry Blake. Geraint and I fell out very badly indeed on a later project (King's Royal). I wonder how many of you on the group know that a whole new series was developed for Jessica Benton after Onedin – The Heywood Files, about an early lady photographer. It got to a very late stage of development, with (for example) me written in as music director and all the episode writers chosen and told to get started. Then, absolutely out of nowhere, Series and Serials killed it, less than a month before production was to start. A horrible experience all round.
    BSM

liamegan2000

Bill,

Yes many are not with us anymore.

One
    is Mike Billington, who was actually a member on here, (though under a
    pseudonym which I can't now remember) and he used to read the comments.

I don't think he actually ever posted though. I had
    a few private exchanges with him, which was mostly about the Isle of Man where
    he lived.

He said his favourite episode was Ice and Fire, at
    the time no commercial copy was available and I sent the episode to him on a
    disc made from some VHS off-air recordings I had. I don't know if he ever saw it
    though.

Bill. (Another one!)

style="PADDING-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;BORDER-LEFT:#000000 2px solid;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;" dir="ltr">

—– Original Message —–
    Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 3:09
    AM
    Subject: [shiponedingroup] Re: Christian
    Radich film

And thank you, Mr Brady – love you, too.
    I actually own the official
    DVD release, but it was very poorly distributed. Go to Amazon and see the mess
    for yourselves. I was simply suggesting a quick way for members of the group
    to see the film; a true fan would then make the effort to get the official
    version, as I did.
    For what it's worth, I often
    see my own stuff – radio shows, TV, interviews, everything – on Youtube,
    Usenet and elsewhere. Where I feel my rights are being directly infringed for
    gain, I take appropriate action. I do, however, have the imagination and the
    charity to distinguish between fan activity and piracy. I have also learned
    some manners.
    For my more measured friends:
    I'm still in contact with a few people from my Onedin friends. Alas, precious
    few of us are still alive. Peter, Howard and so many others are gone. On the
    production side, Geraint Morris passed away some time back, as did my friends
    Pennant Roberts and – a very special friend – Gerry Blake. Geraint and I fell
    out very badly indeed on a later project (King's Royal). I wonder how many of
    you on the group know that a whole new series was developed for Jessica Benton
    after Onedin – The Heywood Files, about an early lady photographer. It got to
    a very late stage of development, with (for example) me written in as music
    director and all the episode writers chosen and told to get started. Then,
    absolutely out of nowhere, Series and Serials killed it, less than a month
    before production was to start. A horrible experience all round.
    BSM

Hi Bill,

Hope you're doing well.  So pleased to see that the Duchess has given birth to a baby girl!  How exciting!

Can we buy "Windjammer", now?

Linda

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.