RE: The Running Tide 10 minute filler after 1977 PBS broadcast of OL

Forum Forums General Discussions The Running Tide 10 minute filler after 1977 PBS broadcast of OL RE: The Running Tide 10 minute filler after 1977 PBS broadcast of OL

galacticprobe
Participant
Okay… just checked on the Group site and sure enough, my reply is there (message #1433 if anyone wants to look it up: showed up on the board May 14th at 1:52 am, according to the listing).

Strange that I never got a copy of it when I usually get a copy of all my other replies. But then Yahoo! Groups has done that to me before.

Go figure.

But just to clarify the master spoke and Turk's Head, it's not so much for marking rudder position; it's to mark the master spoke and "wheel" position so the helmsman can keep count of how many turns of the wheel he's made. (It's also so he can quickly find the master spoke in the blackness of night.) If he only makes a quarter or half turn, he's got to keep that in his head as well. If he's a good helmsman – which he should be if he's standing that watch alone – then he'll know how many degrees of rudder one full turn of the wheel will give. On my buoy tender one turn was 6 degrees; that's not going to be the same for all ships so a helmsman will have to "get the feel" each time he take the wheel of a different lady (so to speak).

Dino.

— In shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com, "LambuLambu@…" <LambuLambu@…> wrote:
>
> Wait… does that mean my reply DID come through? But that I just didn't get a copy of it?
>
>
> Dino.
>
>
> —–Original Message—–
> From: Lee Bonnifield <lee78@…>
> To: shiponedingroup <shiponedingroup@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Tue, May 14, 2013 4:44 pm
> Subject: Re: [shiponedingroup] Re: The Running Tide 10 minute filler after 1977 PBS broadcast of OL
>
> On 5/14/2013 1:52 AM, LambuLambu@… wrote:> Wow! Loads more
> questions. I'll tackle a few so the burden doesn't fall
> all on R. (I'll snip some bits below and leave the bits I'll try to answer.)
>
> Thanks for the explanations & photos! I can see how that double screw
> works. And now I remember seeing a turks head knot on a wheel spoke, I
> hadn't thought about it marking rudder position.
>